Monday, July 15, 2013

I Teach K! Day 1

Do you ever have a dream to meet the top of the top professionals in your area of work? I have always had the dream to meet, interact, and converse with the best teachers from across the county. Many of these ladies are so well known and one even made a million dollars selling lesson plans on the internet. 

This week I have the pleasure of attending "I Teach K! National Conference." Back in the fall I applied for a grant from my school's PA and was awarded tuition for this amazing week of learning and fun! 

After trekking cross country at 6 months pregnant, I am here rockin' and rollin' in pure teacher style. Binder ready, colorful flair pens ready, and an open mind ready to be filled. 

I think when attending a conference, there is so much your brain can intake. I am going to highlight each session I attended and tell you my most favorite idea or tip. 

Here goes:

AM Keynote: You are Wonderful.....Indeed! with Debbie Clement 

Debbie sang the song: Top to Bottom, Left to Right 

It enforced the basic reading skill of how reading is done. It is to the tune of "Head, Shoulder, Knees & Toes." We all were singing and dancing! See the video that comes from Debbie's new work with Zaner Bloser. 



Morning Session 1: Common Core & Writing with Shari Sloane

Have I ever told you I love graphic organizers? Shari had this really cool one today and I have never seen it. I hope to make one similar to this soon and post it as a Freebie! I originally just took notes (right) and then Shari let me take a picture of hers. Thanks! 


Morning Session 2: Preparing Young Kindergarten Brains to Read with Kathy Griffith 


Vowel sounds are so hard in K! I loved this letter sound song that was to the tune of "When the Saints Go Marching In." 

Get your flags out and march march march! 

See her video: 


 

Afternoon Session 1: Celebrate Literacy: Lyrics to Literacy with Debbie Clement 

Pom Poms, that could go with the activity before.

Take 2 plastic bags and cut off the bottom edge. Lay the bags on top of each other. Using tape or a rubber band, tightly wrap around the two bags just below the handles. Use scissors and cut down the bags to make the fringe. FREE POM POMS!! 



Afternoon Session 2: Brain Compatible Reading and Writing with Peggy Campbell-Rush

Did you know the brain chunks information in 3's? Peggy suggested separating the alphabet into three sections. She makes these portable word walls for her students and you can see the alphabet chunked in three different sections. 



PM Keynote: The Ron Clark Story

Ever meet someone in your profession that has such a similar philosophy as you? Ron Clark is an awe-inspiring teacher, administrator, founder of a school, and down to earth man who understands teaching his students. 

If you have never heard his story, seriously Google 'Ron Clark.' 

He believes in positivity, creativity, and passion. He stands on the tables, sings, dances, and inspires his students to do their best. 


 
DONE DAY 1! Wow so many ideas! Only photo of me for the day. Elevator selfie!!



No comments:

Post a Comment