Sunday, July 21, 2013

10 Things I've Learned from Teaching



I am linking up with Miss Kindergarten to tell you the 10 things I have learned from teaching. Some are funny and some are serious- Here goes. 

1. Your salary- half it...seriously. You put so much of your money into your classroom to make it the best it can be! You buy the cute things that make your classroom a home and that make learning come alive. 




2. Body Doorbell- think about where kinders come up on you. If they need you and you are turned around....your bottom becomes a doorbell. Ha! This shocks me every time, but it is done in the most innocent way. 



3. Hours- The hours you spend in your classroom, thinking about school, grading, writing report card comments, and make things at home is astronomical! This e-card always makes me laugh!


4. Games- You say the word game and a student's attitude totally changes! Even if it really is not a game, they sit up a little straighter and they are ready to go! They totally forget that learning is involved. 


5. Be Confident- IN EVERYTHING you do, act confident! Parents and students like to think you know what you are doing. If you do not know an answer be honest though. You would rather look intelligent than lying to a parent or child. 


6. Planning time- Yes, you are given planning time during the day...but usually they consist of responding to e-mails, conferences, phone calls, discipline, and much more. This means you take so much home! 


7. Leave your baggage at the door- No matter what is going on in your personal life, leave it at the door. Students deserve 110% of you. I have also found that it is hard to think of your personal life when you are with the children. They are the best medicine. 


8. Be silly- Make a fool of yourself, dance, dress up, enjoy teaching. Our children enjoy this so much! I love to dance and sing! You want a child to go home and say "Today was the best day at school."

9. Negative Energy- Teachers are truly a funny breed! They are territorial and sometimes downright mean. If you give 110% to your students, go girl!! Don't let anyone put you down and be negative! Close your door and teach your heart out! 

10. Take Care of Yourself- I have learned this one the hard way! I ran myself into the ground two years ago and suffered with months of being sick. My life had to change and I had to save time for myself. Do it, even though it is really hard!

Well those are just a few things I learned from teaching! I have loved reading everyone's thoughts at Miss Kindergarten! Jump over to read about it! 


3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I just found your blog and LOVE it! You are SO right with the negativity - and the "funny breed! "What is with that?! I think that is why I love blogging so much. I love to share ideas and be happy. Being confident and taking care of yourself are SO important! Thanks for this post! I'd love you to stop over to my blog if you get a chance!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands & Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! Teaching is such a rewarding job, but gosh we deal with a lot! I love it!

      Delete
  2. So true! Great post! I don't think people have any idea how much time, money and effort goes into teaching. I is definitely a calling! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete