Tuesday, January 29, 2013

MLK Recap

Last week we honored Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I introduced Martin Luther King by reading Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King by Jean Marzollo. This is a perfect book for Kinders. It is simple and reaches them on their level. I do leave out the part that says he was shot...


The children were SHOCKED when they heard this story and could not believe people were treated so unfairly. I honestly do not think children this young see 'color.' They see friends and fairness. 

Students then watched part of Dr. King's "I have a Dream Speech" on YouTube. Click here to see it. 

Then as a class we spoke about our own dreams. I told the children how my dream was to become a teacher. I told them about how my friend's older sister played school with us and then how I too had a school of my own. I made worksheets and had my very own chalkboard. I told them DREAMS COME TRUE to those who work hard. 

I found this idea on Pintrest, (link), and then made it my own. It was my first year doing this activity and I think it turned out pretty cute! 




Opened to see a little bit of writing:

Some precious writing: 

"My dream is to be a doctor because I like pads of paper to write information about the person." 

This cracked me up: 
"My dream is to become a singer because I like to sing 'Call Me Maybe" and to be famous." 

Next year I want to have the students bring in an item to represent what they want to be when they grow up, so I can take a picture. 


I love teaching Kindergarten! They are the sweetest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment